Enrollment for college students is non-competitive and FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED in order to enable a participant-to-faculty ratio of 4:1. This ensures that every participant has an unparalleled opportunity to improve their technique and musicianship.
To apply, complete the online application form for college and adult students, and pay your deposit. (See the instructions under “Payment Schedule” below.) Then, see “Playing Assessment” below for further instruction.
High School Participants: Please see the High School Application page.
For questions, please contact Peggy Moran, Executive Director (email@example.com).
COST: $2,095 per week
EARLY REGISTRATION INCENTIVE: $1,995 per week if registering by December 31, 2020
Participants may choose to attend one or two weeks. The first day of each week is an arrival day. The last day of each week is a departure day, allowing 6 full days of instruction each week. Multiweek participants have two free days between sessions. Extra days are $80 each. You may arrive a day early for any week and/or stay an extra day at the end of Week 1. Please note: There is no tuition discount if you choose not to stay at Ogontz.
DEPOSIT: $204 per week (paid online) or $200 per week (paid by check)
You may submit your deposit online using our online deposit form or by mailing a check or money order. Deposit checks and money orders should be made out to Cormont Music and mailed to:
c/o Cormont Music
Julia Gerhardt, Operations Director
PO Box 2418
Decatur, GA 30031
If you are not accepted, the deposit will be refunded. Your balance must be postmarked by April 15, 2021. There is a $50 late fee for payments postmarked after this date.
A limited number of full and partial scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis to high school and college students. You may apply for (in the case of high school students) or reserve (in the case of college students) a place at camp if you are set in your plans to participate regardless of scholarship outcome.
Video Submission Deadline: May 15, 2021
The Kendall Betts Horn Camp community is a gathering of hornists spanning a wide range of ability levels in a non-competitive, supportive environment. In order to be placed in the masterclass group and ensemble best-suited to your current level, each participant will need to play a short assessment, no more than 3 minutes in length. Rest assured that this is not an audition, nor will it be used to rank participants; it simply allows our artistic team to best serve each participant for an optimal KBHC experience. Note: If you have attended KBHC within the past two years, the playing assessment is optional.
You have two options for completing the playing assessment:
- (Recommended) Upload a video to YouTube and submit it using the guidelines available below. Record as many takes as you like before deciding which to submit. This also allows for a more streamlined experience on arrival day, without the need to worry about the effects of travel on your ability to represent your horn playing. Upload your video no later than May 15, 2021.
- Play your assessment on arrival day. To request this option, e-mail Operations Director, Julia Gerhardt, at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than May 15, 2021.
- Be current. Please record your video after January 1st of the year you intend to attend KBHC.
- Be recorded in such a way as to accurately reflect your abilities as a hornist. Please refer to Video Audition Recording Tips. Also, feel free to rerecord as many times as necessary in order to submit your best take.
- Include all or part of up to two solos or etudes (or one solo and one etude) which demonstrate your playing in contrasting musical styles. You may upload a video of a longer work if you like, but we will only listen to the first three minutes. Accompaniment is not required; we are evaluating you solely on your horn playing. Feel free to edit out lengthy accompanimental passages and/or silences.
- Be categorized within YouTube as “Unlisted.”
Links to videos should be emailed to KBHC Executive Director, Peggy Moran, at email@example.com. Please include your first and last name in the subject of the email.